My bf sent me an image of this dessert some weeks back and I was inspired. Why hadn’t I thought of using the apple itself as the delivery system for delicious apple crisp?
Having no idea where the image originated I decided to re-create it using my crisp recipe as a guide.
Apple Crisp (Using an Apple Delivery System)
– Apples (Choose your favorite baking apple)
– Quick oats (1/2 cup per apple)
– Canola oil (1/8 tsp per apple)
All other ingredients are to taste.
– Lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dig a hole in your apple (be careful not to go through the bottom of the apple). I used a knife and a serrated grapefruit spoon for this task.
3. Place your apples in a lightly greased baking dish.
4. Mix filling. I’ve provided a rough guide for the quantity of the oats and oil per apple but the rest of the ingredients will really depend on your own preferences. The goal is to have oats that are moist and sticky but not wet and goopy (since the apple juices will also soften the oats).
5. Spoon filling into apple. I packed mine in a little as I like a fairly even apple to crisp ratio.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
6. Serve warm with frozen yogurt.