I was lazy last night. I did not plan my meal in advance, so I was forced to forage on the fridge for meal ideas.
Carrots seemed the logical choice to accompany my open faced sandwhich. And they were also the only veggie I had in my fridge. My BF also just bought a huge (think 3 pound) bag of walnuts. Turns out carrots and walnuts taste pretty delicious together.
Sweet and Savory Roasted Carrots
– 2 large carrots
– 6 cloves of garlic
– 3 tbsp of chopped walnuts (un-salted)
– salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tsp of sugar
– 1 tbsp lemon olive oil
1. Wash and peel your carrots. Cut them into about 1 to 2 inch pieces.
2. Remove the skin from 6 cloves of garlic. Leave clove whole.
3. Place carrots and garlic in a baking dish. Toss with lemon olive oil and add some salt and pepper to the mix. Toss again.
4. Place in the oven at 450 degrees fahrenheit for 20 mins.
5. Remove your baking dish from the oven and add your walnuts and sugar. Toss the contents of the baking dish, allowing the sugar to mix with the heated carrots and oil thoroughly.
6. Place back in the oven for another 5-6 minutes. The goal here is to let the walnuts brown a little.
Voila. Yummy goodness.