I love breakfast but I never have time in the morning to sit down. These were definitely a success, one I will be repeating to help add more fibre to my diet. As I’m on a modified diet right now I’ve minimized the processed sugar as much as possible. I have also added some spices to add some dimension to the muffins.
Low Fat Bran Muffins*
– 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups Bran Flakes cereal
– 1 tablespoon cinnamon
– 2 tablespoons cardamom
– 2 tablespoons nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon ginger
– 1 cup nonfat milk
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 1 eggs, slightly beaten
– 3 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
– 3 tablespoons honey
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
– Preheat oven to 400F.
– Mix dry ingredients together.
– In a separate bowl mix all wet ingredients.
– Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes.
– Pour mixture into silicone muffin tray or a greased metal muffin tray.
– Crumble some bran cereal on top.
– Bake for 15-20 minutes (until brown, and a toothpick test confirms they are done).
*Adapted recipe. Original available here.
These were really good. I made mega muffins so my baking time was closer to 35 minutes (I had to cover the muffins with tinfoil for the last 15 minutes). Sadly, I lost much of my crunchy bran topping after baking because it didn’t adhere to the muffin top. Next time I’ll push the topping a little into the muffin before baking.
Hope you like them!
Mmmm fibre that doesn’t taste like twigs.